Connect with us

Hot world news

Be a clown, advertiser – Marketing Land

Be a clown, advertiser - Marketing Land

MARKETING NEWS

Be a clown, advertiser – Marketing Land

I contemplated the theme for this mid-summer article while I was prepping my beach reading list, looking for easy, engaging and entertaining material to replenish my brain while my body rests waterside. This is important work for me as research has proven that we need to take mental-breaks to avoid the pitfalls of over-thinking. Thinking too much, it seems, makes us dumber and less productive.

Over-thinking advertising can also make brands dumber and their communications less effective.

We know from behavioral science that people appreciate stimuli that are easily processed by the brain, yet we too often ask consumers to decode complex messages. Top-of-mind awareness (which drives salience) is arguably the most important role of advertising, yet we too often distract audiences by packing in too much information; breaking-through the ad-clutter to even get noticed is harder than ever, yet we too often fail to offer consumers anything worth paying attention to.

In the spirit of summer reading for advertisers, I offer an antidote to over-thinking-advertising in what I hope is an easy, engaging and entertaining manner – sung to the tune of Cole Porter’s 1948 classic, Be a Clown.

I’ll remember forever,
When I was but three,
Mama, who was clever,
Remarking to me;
If, son, when you’re grown up,
You want ev’rything nice,
I’ve got your future sewn up
If you take this advice:

Be a clown, be a clown,
All the world loves a clown.
Brands well-liked, ads that thrill,
Drive consumers to make the deal.
So get their attention,
With dazzling content that’s fun.
If you sell like the others, who’s to say where they’re led.
If your pitch is System 2, all your adverts they’ll shred.
You’ll be sure to convert if you create bonds instead.
Be a clown, be a clown, be a clown.

Be a clown, be a clown,
All the world loves a clown.
Be completely unique,
And to your shop they’ll all flock.
Other brands all like,
At your success they will balk.
A parity product can’t hope to prevail.
A brand like the others can be sure to fail.
They’ll all come to you if yourself you unveil.
Be a clown, be a clown, be a clown.

Be a clown, be a clown,
All the world loves a clown.
Life is stressful enough,
Without being sold lots of stuff.
Complications arise,
When they’re oft told what they should buy.
An ad that asks them to think makes them feel like a rube.
A message that’s full of facts makes them turn off the tube.
But an advert that’s fun leaves them feeling renewed.
Be a clown, be a clown, be a clown.

Be a clown, be a clown,
All the world loves a clown.
Postmodern consumers,
They all want witty ads.
Irony, comedy,
They’re not just passing fads.
Why pretend like they don’t know that you’re selling to them?
Why would you dismiss self-aware ads as a silly trend?
When crowds love an ad that makes them laugh at the end.
Be a clown, be a clown, be a clown.

Be a clown, be a clown,
All the world loves a clown.
The content they consume,
Has so dramatically improved.
While the ads they must watch,
Are all in their mind a big splotch.
If you don’t up your ad game, your messages they’ll block.
If your stories can’t improve, at your brand they will balk.
But jack you won’t lack when to your fun ads they flock.
(Quack, quack, quack, quack)
Be a clown, be a clown, be a clown.

Marketers and agencies, take some advice from me and Cole Porter this summer: Create advertising that is likable, differentiates with personality, and provides consumers a respite from their stressful lives. It should be as good as modern TV they so readily watch and, most importantly, treat your post-modern consumers to the wit, irony and creativity they deserve.

(Special thanks to Aristomenes Spanos for his lyrical genius)

Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily Marketing Land. Staff authors are listed here.

About The Author

Peter Minnium is president of Ipsos US, where he leads the US team in helping companies measure and amplify how media, brands, and consumers connect through compelling content and great communications. Prior to his switch to market research, Peter was Head of Brand Initiatives at the IAB focused on addressing the under-representation of creative brand advertising online.

Source link

Continue Reading
You may also like...
20 Comments

20 Comments

1. frolep rotrem

28/10/2020 at 17:52

Keep functioning ,remarkable job!

2. anti anxiety meds

30/10/2020 at 00:15

I love it when people come together and share opinions, great blog, keep it up.

3. natural remedies for anxiety and depression

30/10/2020 at 01:23

It’s best to take part in a contest for top-of-the-line blogs on the web. I’ll recommend this site!

4. Fresh SEO Agency Winnipeg

30/10/2020 at 09:03

Very interesting details you have remarked, appreciate it for putting up. “Brass bands are all very well in their place – outdoors and several miles away.” by Sir Thomas Beecham.

5. Fresh Traffic

30/10/2020 at 09:40

Your place is valueble for me. Thanks!…

6. tienda online de articulos de cuero

02/11/2020 at 19:37

I must point out my admiration for your kind-heartedness giving support to men and women who really want guidance on your concern. Your real commitment to passing the message all over appeared to be pretty helpful and have enabled workers like me to arrive at their ambitions. Your own warm and friendly guideline means this much to me and even more to my mates. With thanks; from everyone of us.

7. cytotec bogota

02/11/2020 at 21:15

Some truly prize blog posts on this internet site, saved to my bookmarks.

8. comprar comments twitter

03/11/2020 at 11:33

You can definitely see your expertise in the work you write. The world hopes for even more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to say how they believe. Always follow your heart.

9. el brujo

04/11/2020 at 10:42

I do accept as true with all the ideas you’ve introduced for your post. They are very convincing and will certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are very quick for beginners. May just you please prolong them a little from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.

10. el brujo

04/11/2020 at 11:54

I believe other website owners should take this web site as an model, very clean and fantastic user pleasant style and design.

11. cuanto cobran los brujos de catemaco

04/11/2020 at 12:31

Thank you for another great post. Where else could anyone get that type of information in such an ideal way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such info.

12. learn more

04/11/2020 at 17:59

Thank you, I’ve recently been searching for info approximately this topic for a while and yours is the greatest I’ve found out so far. However, what about the bottom line? Are you sure in regards to the supply?

13. discover this info here

04/11/2020 at 18:49

Hi! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having trouble finding one? Thanks a lot!

14. Link here

05/11/2020 at 21:47

Unquestionably believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the internet the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people consider worries that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

15. try this

05/11/2020 at 22:00

Way cool, some valid points! I appreciate you making this article available, the rest of the site is also high quality. Have a fun.

16. Bulk SMS Nigeria

06/11/2020 at 05:18

Woh I enjoy your blog posts, saved to favorites! .

17. Bulk SMS Service

06/11/2020 at 05:59

I’ve been browsing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty price sufficient for me. In my view, if all website owners and bloggers made excellent content material as you probably did, the net will likely be a lot more helpful than ever before. “It’s all right to have butterflies in your stomach. Just get them to fly in formation.” by Dr. Rob Gilbert.

18. Bulk SMS Service

06/11/2020 at 06:15

But a smiling visitant here to share the love (:, btw outstanding layout. “Treat the other man’s faith gently it is all he has to believe with.” by Athenus.

19. How To Send Bulk SMS

06/11/2020 at 06:49

As soon as I observed this site I went on reddit to share some of the love with them.

20. How To Send Bulk SMS

06/11/2020 at 07:00

What’s Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve found It positively useful and it has helped me out loads. I hope to give a contribution & aid other users like its helped me. Great job.